The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander
- Item #: BULLY
The Updated edition of The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander From Pre-School to High School - How Parents and Teachers Can Help Break the Cycle of Violence. It's the deadliest combination going: bullies who get what they want from their target, bullied kids who are afraid to tell, bystanders who either watch, participate, or look away, and adults who see the incidents as simply "teasing" and a normal part of childhood.
Discussing her new book, the bully, the bullied, and the bystander, Barbara Coloroso gives parents, caregivers, educators and most of all, kids the tools to break this cycle of violence. Bullying is a life-and-death issue that we ignore at our children's peril.
Thousands of children go to school every day filled with fear; others feign illness to avoid being taunted at school. Children who are bullied spend much of their time thinking up ways to avoid the trauma and have little energy left for leaning.
Drawing on her decades of work with troubled youth and her wide experience with reconciliatory justice, bestselling parenting educator, Barbara Coloroso offers practical and compassionate solutions for this troubling problem with this latest edition of the international bestseller, THE BULLY, THE BULLIED, AND THE BYSTANDER: From Preschool to High School, How Parents and Teachers Can Help Break the Cycle of Violence.
Updated to include a chapter on Cyberbullying, Coloroso helps readers recognize the triad of bullying: bullies who terrorize, bullied kids who are afraid to tell, bystanders who watch, participate, or look away, and adults who dismiss the incidents as a normal part of childhood.
Readers will also learn:
• What bullying is and what it isn't; the three kinds of bullying; and the differences and similarities between boy and girl bullies
• The role bystanders play in escalating the violence, and the impact on the cycle of violence when a bystander becomes a witness, a resister, or a defender
• How to read the subtle clues that a child is being bullied and what you can do to help Seven steps to take if your child is a bully
• Four abilities that protect your child from succumbing to a bully
• Why zero tolerance policies can equal zero thinking and a constructive alternative
• Why contempt, not anger, drives bullying, and how to confront this in bullies
• Cyberbullying in the net neighborhood
This groundbreaking and trusted guide now updated, provides real solutions for a problem that affects almost all school aged kids.